"The rules of the game get posted at the beginning. Each player answers the questions about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer."
1) What was I doing 10 years ago?:
Ten years ago? 1998, June. Okay, context: the dot coms were booming, Y2K was looming, and George W. Bush was still only a problem for Texas, and not the whole world. So, (relative) peace and prosperity, as they used to say.
On the home front, my little family was living in the Bay Area. The previous summer, the DH, DD and me (pregnant with the DS), had driven across the country to settle in Northern California. I had the baby at home in early 1998, only a couple of weeks after my mother had showed up at our apartment, having left her boyfriend. By June, we were all living in the tiny Bay Area apartment, trying to figure out what to do about the living arrangement.
In 1998, DH had recently gotten his first IT job, and Mom had just returned to IT work after a hiatus of several years. Companies were already gearing up for a smooth Y2K transition, plus they had venture money to spend, so tech jobs were readily available in Silicon Valley. Things were starting to look up for us financially after some pretty rough post-student times.
I had a baby in my arms and a little preschooler by the hand at almost all times. DH's tech job took him traveling about 50% of the time. I thought I might just go insane . . . and Mom's health was in decline, but it wasn't nearly as bad as it would get.
I thought it was interesting times, but I was young, and it was the 90's.
2) What are 5 things on my to-do list for today?:
It's afternoon. 5 things still to be done today:
- Bring the kiddelids home from their summer day programs (Art for the one, Aikido for the other this week).
- Bring in the laundry from the line.
- Project plan the recons for all the many items the DD and I brought home from the thrift store this weekend. We're going to have reconned wardrobes this summer!
- Check my RL email and try to stay on top of it!
- Crafting for the Harry Potter swap I am in. Such fun super-secret crafting!
3) Snacks I enjoy:
- Homemade nachos
- Crisp, sharp apples. Granny Smiths are my favorites!
- OMG, brie!
- Cashews. Yum!
And what kind of Pastafarian would I be if I didn't say pasta? That's not a snack, though, but I've never met a pasta I didn't like. ;)
4) Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
- Go back to college, study in my field of choice, and go out into the world and apply it.
- Make movies (this ties into the above answer) ;) and fund an independent filmmaker I know. Who would probably also be a billionaire in this fantasy. Anyway. Movies would be made.
- Put major money into homeschool support organizations and into truly alternative educational institutions. (I'm thinking along the lines of Sudbury here, just so ya know.) ;)
- Fund the hell out of the primary election challenge to Nancy Pelosi's seat in Congress. (Why? Hint: "Impeachment is off the table." - N. Pelosi)
- Write my novel. And write my own headlines, and ignore my own deadlines.
And so much more! Some of this I will do anyway. Though, clearly, at a much lower price point.
5) Places I have lived:
- Northern California
- Southern California
- Southeastern Pennsylvania
Not, however, in that order.
6) Jobs I have had:
- Costume construction for the theater, both as a college work-study job as well as professionally, after I decided it was time to be seeing to a degree that you can't get in college.
- I had another college job in a local comic book shop. Best. Job. Ever.
- I've also worked as an administrative assistant, as a desktop publisher, and in IT, designing databases. I have done the teeniest bit of professional videography.
- Everything else I've worked so hard at, no one has been paying me to do! ;)
7) People I want to know more about
Flo! She does the most amazing multimedia paper crafts, and writes lots of interesting stuff! Flo, if you would be interested and have the time, I would love to see your answers to this meme.
I can't do five because I don't know five people who blog (yet). If you are reading this, and if you want to share your answers, please do this meme in your blog! And let me know, I would love to read your answers and meet new people!
ETA: Blog posts look better with pictures, so I added one. Of laundry!